Just a quick post to remind anyone interested in fossicking and all things gems, that Minerama will be held at Glen Innes on the 10, 11 and 12 March 2006. Not long now so if you havent already planned your trip to Glen Innes, you'd better get organised.
One of the largest gem shows in NSW, Minerama offers a host of traders from which to buy a huge variety of gems (rough and cut), fossils and mineral specimens, lapidary supplies and much, much more. Of course, we will also be attending so dont forget to say G'day and have a look first hand at our selection of fine rough and other items.
Glen Innes and district offers a wealth of interesting and exciting things to do so why not stay a little longer. During Minerama, dont miss the guided fossicking tours which are run throughout the 3 day festival – these include some locations which are normally unavailable to the public so it is an excellent opportunity to find some real treasures. We will again be opening a section of the Reddestone Creek on our property – at this stage, tours are planned for both Saturday and Sunday. Good luck to all who try their luck – and remember, the luckiest fossickers are often those that work the hardest ! Some excellent gems were found last year and we look forward to hearing how people go this year.
Here are some other highly recommended "must see and do" activities while visiting the area:
- The Emmaville Mining Museum – a really great set up with a fantastic collection of gems and crystals. Allow half a day and enjoy a great counter lunch at one of the historic local pubs.
- Travel through to Torrington visiting the historic Ottery Arsenic mine on the way.
- You can then head home through Deepwater, another small local village with some great places to stop for refreshment.
- A drive out to the Kings Plain area will show some other current and past sapphire mining activity and the Kings Plain Castle can be seen from a distance.
- The Land of the Beardies museum should not be missed when in Glen Innes – some great exhibits showcasing our pioneering past.
- Dont forget to visit Schmidts Jewellers opposite the Town Hall in the main street of Glen Innes – see a wide selection of all the Aussie Sapphire range. Discount offers on most stock throughout the Minerama weekend.
See the official Minerama website for more details – this website has recently been upgraded so it looks a little different for those who have visited it before. Unfortunately, I do not believe the new version is an improvement but it is still worth a look – you can find information on the program here (scroll down the page for details on the various tours).
See our report from last year at Minerama.
cheers for now from Aussie Sapphire and hope to see you in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, check out some of the great stock we have online.