Aussie Sapphire is an online shop specialising in gems from our own mine on the Reddestone Creek near Glen Innes in NSW Australia. Many of our customers are also keen fossickers and rockhounders. It seems that many people interested in gemstones also love the chance to get out there and go digging for themselves.
This activity goes under a variety of names – fossicking in Australia, rockhounding, gem mining and prospecting in many other countries. Whatever you call it, fossicking is great fun for anyone who loves the great outdoors and the opportunity to find your own treasure.
As a free service to our customers and website visitors, we also provide information on fossicking and rockhounding in our local area. See below for links to specific areas of this section on our website:
- How to find sapphires – step by step instructions on how to sieve for sapphires and other gems.
- General information on fossicking – where to find information and equipment
- Safety recommendations when out fossicking, prospecting or rockhounding
- List of fossicking locations – rockhounding sites, driving directions, facilities & charges, photographs and possible gem finds
- NW Glen Innes Map – sites in the northwest area of Glen Innes including Wellingrove, Emmaville, Torrington and Reddestone
- SE Glen Innes Map – sites in the southeast area of Glen Innes including Yarrow Creek, Mann River, Pinkett, Kingsgate and Red Range
- Torrington State Conservation Area – more detailed map of the Torrington SCA showing some camping, picnic and fossicking sites.
- Inverell Fossicking Maps showing the Northern areas (up to Nullamanna and Ashford) and the Southern district (including Tingha and Bingara).
Please note that the site list is still under development with new sites and information being added all the time. Comments are always welcome if you can help with this section.
And remember the fossicking motto – “the more you dig, the luckier you get”.
Thank you for your interest from Aussie Sapphire